Monday 11 April 2011

Consistently not good enough


Today was the third session in a row of things just not being quite right for making progress on the project. Well, really I have made progress as a subtle change of beta should help tip the balance in my favour if I can get past the crux again. But the last time I managed that was about 18 attempts ago now! I feel close to doing the move every single time. Consistency is good except when it's consistently not good enough.
For a collection of reasons I’ve been a couple of percent less strong. Bad skin, and just not feeling quite as steely as before for whatever reason have been the main problems. Another thing I’ve realised is that I’ve actually started to introduce some new errors unwittingly, by trying to control it too much. 
I’ve been convinced I need to pull as little as possible on the holds to save all the energy I can for the crux move. But it seems I’ve overdone it and caused myself some problems for getting my body set up in the right position for the big move. The last couple of sessions have been a little frustrating as the easier ground above seemed so close but now seems like it might still be unreachable. I’m hoping now I’ve got over this I’ll be better placed to just concentrate on focusing completely on the moves and nothing else.
Man, my arms are a mess after today. Tomorrow; running.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dave,
    Love the blog, just curious, do you do interval training when it comes to your running or do you go for distance?

    Cheers,
    Pat C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave, maybe it's your little daughter, that brings some surprises to your life and thus for your performance. But be sure: She will help you over the crux also, on the perfect day, when you just need that little extra push to do it.

    Cheerz

    Kafi with daughter Leni, 11 months

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the sort of post that often preceeds the news of success. Get rested and get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am not nearly as good as you, but i know that love for climbing and the determination to succeed on something that doesn't doesn't seem to want you to. As long as you know the day will come, it will...and damn it will feel good. good luck! can't wait to read your blog the day it rings of success :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Maybe it'll go sometime, but I suspect it'll be a while. Only so much good conditions left..

    Pat - I just go running up mountains and find new crags. If I stop to look at crags and start again it's intervals. If I don't find any, it's continuous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answer Dave, thanks!
    Pat C

    ReplyDelete